Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Worldly Views

I have always enjoyed discussions with my son. He is 16 right now and it's been just him and me for about the last ten years, so we have had countless conversations about everything from nutrition to values and from our relationship with God to farming in the country! But the thing I notice and really love about our special talks is that the older he gets, the more wide-ranged our topics have become and how interesting he is to listen to! Sometimes we will talk about things for over an hour and explore different points of view about a topic, other times our discussions may last only as long as a trip to the store and involve just a quick sharing time about his or my feelings about something someone said or did. I feel very honored that my teenage son feels comfortable enough and trusting enough to share his views about the world with me, and that we respect each other's views even if we don't agree with one another. I like to think that the relationship we have will set the tone for his relationship one day with the woman he marries and the children he will be blessed to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment